Search This Blog

Thursday, October 4, 2018

One Week!

Today marks one full week since I started creating and sharing resources for teachers! I am so excited each morning to log into my computer and begin designing, that sometimes I even let my coffee get cold (that's how you know this is serious business, haha!).

In celebration of a full week of creating, blogging, editing, and NOT breaking the computer out of frustration, I made these little babies for....the babies! Well, they probably really aren't babies if they're learning to read, but I consider anyone beneath the age of 25 to be a baby! ;)


I created the prototype for these guys a LONG time ago, when my own little guy was about 3 1/2 years old. He knew all his ABCs and letter sounds, and was very, very slowly learning to sound out words. But how do you "sound out" the word "the"??? Well, that's when I discovered the magical world of sight words as a parent (this was before my teaching days!). 

Sight words help a child to fluently read a word, without the need to decode it by sound. Some critics say this is unhelpful to the learning process, but in my experience, sight words boosts a child's confidence ENORMOUSLY in reading and take out a lot of the guesswork! Don't be mistaken though- learning both in tandem is the BEST way to learn to read!

With these little readers, the child is exposed to the sight word over and over (yep, we're going old school here!), while being given picture clues for the rest of the sentence. Also, each word is accented by a chunky dot to help your child learn word tracking and reinforce their concept of word (the idea that chunks of letters make words!)

This is a great tool to use as both a teacher OR a parent! Enjoy a freebie version here https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Point-and-Read-Sight-Word-Fluency-4106025


LOVED working with the freebie?  Check out the  full version here:
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Point-and-Read-Sight-Word-Fluency-First-25-Fry-Words-4107766

As always, thank you for dropping by and remember to "owlways" teach from the heart!





No comments:

Post a Comment